In this episode of Pod Culture Oz we are joined by author and game designer Christian D. Read from Crowland Publishing as we discuss the politics of superheroes (part 1).
We discuss Alan Moore’s recent controversial interviews and criticism about the state of superhero movies, consider the concept of ‘privatising world peace’, and look at the point of R-rated superheroes.
“The current extended hero universes are one long, embarrassing response to 9-11.”
Christian Read – Author & Game Designer
Books we discuss
- Arendt, Hannah. The Human Condition
- Bauerman, Zigmund. Modernity and the holocaust
- Clarke, Susannah. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
- Delaney, Joseph. The Last Apprentice series
- Foucault, Micheal. Security, Territory, Population.
- Friedman, Milton. The social responsibility of business to is to increase its profits
- Hayek, Friedrich. Road to Serfdom
- Kirby, Jack. New Gods
- Moore, Alan. Batman: The killing joke
- Moore, Alan. V for Vendetta
- Moore, Alan. Watchmen
- Morrison, Grant. The Invisibles
- Muir, Tamsyn. Gideon the Ninth
- Read, Christian. Nil-Prey
- Read, Christian. The Eldrich Kid
- Read, Christian. The Lark Case Files
- Read, Christian. Unmasked
- Schwab, V.E. Vicious
- Wertham, Frederic. Seduction of the Innocent
Superhero romances (a sample of titles)
- Brooks, Liana. Even villains fall in love (Heros and Villains #1)
- Colgan, Jenny T. Spandex and the city
- Estep, Jennifer. Bigtime series
- Pechercyzk, Lana. The Deadly Seven series. (Vigilante Superhero Romances)
Movies & TV shows we discuss
- The Avengers
- The Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Batman Begins
- Battle Beyond the Stars
- The Boys
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Conan the barbarian
- The Dark Knight
- The Dark Knight Rises
- Indianna Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Iron Man
- Iron Man 2
- John Wick
- Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell
- The Matrix
- Superfriends: The Legendary Super Powers Show
- Superman Returns
- Superman: Red Son
- Wonder Woman
Games we discuss
- Champions Online
- DC Heroes
- DC Universe Online
- Marvel Super Heroes Roleplaying Game
- Sentinels of the Multiverse
- The Secret World MMO
- Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
- World of Warcraft
- Comic Code Authority
- Grater, Tom. Alan Moore Gives Rare Interview: ‘Watchmen’ Creator Talks New Project ‘The Show’, How Superhero Movies Have “Blighted Culture” & Why He Wants Nothing To Do With Comics, in Deadline.
- Joest, Mick. The Time Watchmen’s Alan Moore Brutally Slammed Superhero Movies, in Cinema Blend.
- The Motion Picture Production Code (aka the Hays Code)
- Nissen, Dano. Tessa Thompson Say Valkyrie is Bisexual – in Variety.
- Sharf, Zack. ‘Watchmen’ Creator Alan Moore Condemns Superhero Movies: ‘They’ve Blighted Cinema and Culture’, in Indiewire.
- Walter Lippman Colloquium (1938)
- The Wicked Wallflower Club: Episode 79 V.E. Schwab: Villains, A Darker Shade of Magic, and Addie La Rue
- Patrick (H) Willems: What’s the point of R-rated superheroes?
- Wright, Jim. Scabs (2019) on Stonekettle Station. (Essay on 911 trauma.)
To all at the Wicked Wallflowers Coven, for their help with compiling the Superhero Romances list. You are all fantastic.