Our gallant trio of hosts, along with special guest host Fred, examine the concept in different formats of fiction – books, tv, and games – and look at what it mean to be human and where evolution may take us. The primary texts examined are the Wachowski’s Netflix show Sense8, Julian May’s Saga of the Exiles and Galactic Milieu series, and anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion, but we also visit many other works along the way.
Omega Point theory
- Butler-Bowden, Tom. Self Help Classes – The Phenomenon of Man
- Savory, Lou (ed). Teilhard for Beginners.
- Teilhard de Chardin, Pierre. Omega Point.
- Teilhard de Chardin, Pierre. The Phenomenon of Man.
- Teilhard de Chardin, Pierre. The Phenomenon of Man Summary
Books we discuss
- Arendt, Hanna. The Human Condition.
- Card, Orson Scott. Ender’s Game.
- Egan, Greg. Axiomatic. (Note: Nick got his name incorrect. It is definitely GREG Egan.)
- Heinlein, Robert. Stranger in a Strange Land.
- Leckie, Anne. Imperial Radch Trilogy.
- May, Julian. Galactic Milieu series – Intervention, Jack the Bodiless, Diamond Mask and Magnificat.
- May, Julian. Saga of the Exiles – The Many-Colored Land, The Golden Torc, The Nonborn King and The Adversary.
- O’Malley, Daniel. The Rook.
- Pratchett, Terry. A Hat Full of Sky.
- Simmons, Dan. Hyperion Cantos – Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, Endymion Rising.
- Stapledon, Olaf. Odd John.
- Sturgeon, Theodore. More than Human.
Movies & TV shows we discuss
- Battle Beyond the Stars
- Neon Genesis: Evangelion
- Star Trek (Original Series)
- Star Trek Discovery
- Star Trek First Contact
- The Good Place
- The Tomorrow People
Games we discuss
- Classic World of Darkness RPG
- Katamari Damacy
- Mage the Ascension RPG
- Mass Effect series
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Tell Me Why
- Sense8: More than Human, AV Club, 26 June 2015. – The article Philippa mentioned that discusses the infamous Sense8 birthing scene.
- BookThingo – thanks to Kat, Rudi, Dr Jodie and all the gang. Thanks for encouragement, and for twitter discussions.
- Wicked Wallflowers Club – huge thanks to Jenny and Sarah, especially for tips about theme music.
- Fallout Lorecast – Tom (Robots) for excellent advice on podcast distribution and marketing.
- Megan Wedge, Sound Engineer – fabulous Megan, thank you so much for everything you do, and for amazing advice on editing. All those extra umms and ahhs were removed because of you (but I left some in! Because you said to!).
- Deconstructing Damsels – I didn’t mention you on the podcast, but your advice on recording podcasts and herding cats, and all round encouragement has been great.