In our first official collab, in this episode of Pod Culture Oz we are joined by Tom (aka Robots) from the Fallout Lorecast as we discuss MMOs for World Peace and how gaming is depicted in popular media.
In this episode we look at the history of roleplaying in pop culture, and discuss what inspired each of us to try gaming, and invent the “NICHOLAS” Cage!
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 1:12 – The meta of gaming
- 3:26 – Alternis, or MMOs for World Peace
- 22:58 – The early days of gaming
- 24:49 – Gamers as an audience
- 36:04 – Why Rolemaster is the BEST RPG
- 47:05 – Outro
Books we discuss
- Gascoigne, Marc and Pete Tamlyn. Blacksand! (Advanced Fighting Fantasy #2)
- Jackson, Steve and Ian Livinstone. The Warlock of Fire Top Mountain, (Fighting Fantasy #1)
- Kawahara, Reki. Sword Art Online (light novels)
- Phillips, Andrea, Maurice Broaddus, Jacqueline Koyanagi, and E.C. Myers. Alternis. Narrated by Summer Glau. A Serial Box Production.
- Tolkien, JRR. The Hobbit.
- Tolkien, JRR. The Lord of the Rings.
Movies & TV shows we discuss
- Big Square Eye
- E.T. the Extra Terrestrial
- High Score
- Star Wars
- Stranger Things
- Sword Art Online (anime)
Games we discuss
- America’s Army (the game)
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Burning Wheel
- Dark Age of Camelot
- Dungeons and Dragons
- Eve Online
- Fallout 76
- Gay Blade CRPG
- Guildwars 2
- Lord of the Rings Online
- John Madden Football
- Magic the Gathering
- Middle Earth Role Playing
- Rolemaster (the BEST roleplaying system – try 2nd Edition aka Rolemaster Classic! You won’t regret it.)
- Shadow World (the BEST fantasy rpg setting, don’t argue with me)
- Space Invaders
- Star Wars Galaxies
- Tunnels and Trolls
- Vampire the Masquerade
- Werewolf the Apocalypse
- Gamergate Controversy
- GNS Theory
- Meuller, Gavin. The Automation Fallacy, on Futures of Work UK.
- Clayton, Natalie. EVE’s Scavengers are making bank by cracking abandoned Citadels on Rock Paper Shotgun.